The best mechanical sewing machines should be easy to work with for yearsand give you the ability to stitch whatever projects that you desire to work on. They also should be able to handle a large range of fabric and should not be too expensive.
Its a well known fact that the sewing machine industry is dominated by 3 brands namely: Janome, Singer, Janome & the Brother sewing machines.
In this blog post, I will be reviewing what I consider to be quality mechanical sewing machines available in the market. My list includes:-
- Janome HD1000 Sewing Machine
- Brother XM2701 Mechanical Machine
- Janome HD3000 Sewing Machine
- SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
- Singer 3232 Portable Sewing Machine
I believe the main factors that will determine the type of sewing machine that you should buy are:
1. Skill Level
Let’s review them one by one..
The Janome brand is know for producing high quality sewing machines and its no surprise that their HD1000 machine is one of the best mechanical sewing machines. The HD-1000 has a super sturdy construction coupled with easy to use features resulting in you having an enjoyable sewing experience.
Some of its features can be found in other machines that your would pay a higher price. Below are some of its features
* The Janome HD1000 has 14 built-in stitches. Of these, we have the stretch stitches, utility stitches and a 4-step buttonhole – stitches you need to create and customize your projects
* The machine body is made of cast aluminum in line with its heavy duty construction. The HD1000 was designed to handle rough use and last for years.
* The machine has an automatic needle threader to save you the headache of manually threading the needle and straining your eyes.
* There are a number of accessories that come with this machine including; needles, soft cover, 2 screwdrivers, bobbins, seam ripper/buttonhole ripper, zipper foot, hemmer foot, felt, buttonhole foot and a hem guide.
* Enjoy sewing cuffs and collars with ease using its free arm. The machine also has a drop feed for attaching buttons, darning and stippling plus other free motion applications.
* Shipping weight is 21.8 pounds
* Other features include: a manual thread tension control, snap-on presser feet, 3 piece feed dog system to enable smooth fabric feed no matter the fabric type, a reverse stitch lever, a push pull bobbin winding, extra high presser foot lift and stitch selection dial
* Enjoy 25 years limited warranty with this machine
This machine can handle different types of projects with ease. You can also use this machine to sew leather, just make sure you buy leather needles and a nonstick sewing foot or Teflon foot.
The throat space for this machine is 6 inches which I find to be OK
What I Like About This Machine
* Easy to set up and get running
* Sturdy build, easy to understand instructions
* Ability to sew through heavy fabric. One user said she was able to sew through 4 layers of canvas and a layer isinglass.
* Silent machine compared to other models
* In some instances, the out of the box tension is way off. Adjust the upper & lower tension and enjoy smooth sewing experience
Janome HD1000 Video
Check out this short video that explains in detail the Janome HD1000 mechanical sewing machine.
The Brother XM2701 sewing machine is a lightweight machine that is designed to handle a myriad of sewing project that is appropriate for both beginner and advanced users.
Below are some of the features of this machine:-
* The Brother XM2701 has 27 unique built in stitches and 63 stitch functions that offers you a wide range of stitches including decorative, zigzag, blind hem, stretch stitches, quilting stitches
among other type of stitches. Choose the stitch you want to use using the dial on front of the machine.
* Has 6 sewing feet with buttonhole, blind stitch, zigzag, zipper, narrow hemmer and button sewing
* The built-in free arm helps you sew cuffs, sleeves and pant legs with ease
* Another cool feature of this machine is a jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin. The work area is lit with an LED light, a good thing especially when working with dark fabrics or
dimly lit areas.
* The machine also has an in-built needle threader and an automatic bobbin winding system.
* Includes instructional DVD and English and Spanish user manual.
* 25 years limited warranty.
Why I Like This Machine
* Wide variety of stitches to choose from
* Easy stitch selection
* Built-in easy needle threader
* Top drop-in bobbin
* Easy to understand instructional DVD
* 6 sewing feet
* 3 of the sewing feet are made from plastic, not metal
Brother XM2701 Video
Check out this short video that explains in detail the Brother XM2701 mechanical sewing machine.
This is a heavy duty mechanical sewing machine designed for both advanced as well as beginners looking to do a wide range of sewing. Although its not a fancy sewing machine, what I like about it is that its been designed for simplicity and durability.
The key features of this machine are:-
* Automatic needle threader to get rid of the irritation of threading your needle manually. Great feature especially for people with eye problems
* A jam proof bobbin system.
* Comes with 18 built in stitches. To choose your desired stitch, just turn the dial on the front end of the machine to the correct stitch and get started. It has a 6.5mm maximum stitch width and 4mm maximum stitch length.
* The adjustable presser foot pressure is controlled by turning a dial enabling you to sew a wide range of fabric thicknesses
* The free arm allows you to sew pants, legs and sleeves.
* 7 feet to work with; Overedge “C” Foot, Buttonhole “B” Foot, Blind Hem “G” Foot, Zipper “E” Foot, Rolled Hem “D” Foot, Automatic Buttonhole “R” Foot, sewing Foot
* The Janome HD3000 is built with a transparent bobbin plate enabling you to monitor the supply of the thread from the bobbin as you sew.
* The powerful motor of this machine gives you the ability to sew through heavy fabrics such as denim, canvas and leather.
* This is a mechanical sewing machine devoid of all the compilcated stuff that comes with computerized sewing machines. A great machine for the old fashioned folks who want a solid machine that is easy to work with.
* For those who care about sewing speed, this machine does about 850 stitches per minute.
* Enjoy great control over different types of fabric using the 7-pc. feed dog. The machine also has a drop-feed system for sewing free motion as well as attaching buttons.
* Comes with a 25 yrs warranty for mechanical parts, 5 yrs for electrical parts and labor coverage of 1 year.
Enjoy a huge range of accessories with your purchase of this machine. These accessories include:-
– A Hard Case/Cover, Ultra Glide Foot, Leather Needles (2 Packs), Universal Needles, Bobbins
– Pack of Needles, Small Screwdriver, Screwdriver, Large and Small Spool Holder, Lint Brush
– Felt, Quilter Bar, Seam Ripper, Additional Spool Pin, Bobbin, Foot Control/Power Cord
Why I Like This Machine
– Heavy duty machine able to sew through tough materials such as leather
– A simple machine but pretty intuitive, perfect for many sewing projects
– Janome is known to produce quality durable machines
– Huge list of accessories that come with every purchase.
– Not a cheap machine but worth the investment for anyone interested in doing heavy duty work
Janome HD3000 Review Video
Check out this short review video highlighting the features of the Janome HD3000 mechanical sewing machine.
The Singer 4411 mechanical is another solid mechanical sewing machine that provides a great sewing experience.
* Stitches – The Singer 4411 has 11 built in stitches. Out of these, 6 are basic stitches, 4 are decorative stitches and there is a 1 buttonhole. These range of stitches are perfect for fashion
sewing, crafts, home decor and so much more. Stitches are selected from the stitch dial on the front side of the machine
* The machine gives you the ability to increase or decrease the stitch distances between stitches. This is applicable when using different stitch techniques like applique, basting and more.
* The adjustable needle can be changed to 3 position to add zippers and a decorative touch with top stitching, edge stitching, zipper application, piping insertions, cording etc. The stainless-steel bed-plate enables fabrics to glide over the machine as you sew with ease.
* Built with a heavy duty metal frame for durability and stability
* The machine can sew 1,100 stitches per minute, which is quite fast.
* The adjustable presser foot control allows you to sew different type of fabrics including lightweight sheers to heavy weight fabrics such as denim.
* The top drop-in bobbin allows you to see your thread helping you gauge when you need to add more thread
* You have the ability to lower the feed teeth for button sewing or free-motion sewing. How this is achieved is by simply sliding the drop teeth lever to lower the feed teeth and to raise the feet teeth again slide it back and turn the handwheel one full turn.
* You can sew stitches in reverse to prevent unraveling
* The free arm can be accessed by removing the removable storage compartment allowing you to sew sleeve cuffs, trouser hems and other circular projects.
– Zipper Foot
– General Purpose Foot
– Button Sewing Foot
– Buttonhole Foot
– Edge/Quilting Guide
– Soft Dust Cover
– Bobbins (Class 15 transparent)
– Seam Ripper/Lint Brush
– Spool Pin Felt
– Spool Caps
– Auxiliary Spool Pin
Why I Like This Machine
* Heavy enough to stay in one place compared to some other portable machines
* Dials and settings are easy to read and understand
* Sews through heavy garments easily
* Great price
Someone suggested that you need to practice using the foot control because it launches from 0 to 60 in a split second!
Singer 4411 Review Video
Check out this 21 minute video highlighting the features of the Singer 4411 mechanical sewing machine.
Finally, my review list would not be complete without mentioning the Singer 3232 portable sewing machine. This is one of the best sewing machines out there specifically created for beginners and for those who don’t like complicated features on sewing machines.
Even though this is a simply sewing machine, don’t be fooled by its simplicity. Its has enough features that any seasoned sewist will be impressed with. Let us look at some of them:-
* Comes with 32 built-in stitches to make your sewing projects fun. Of these 32, 6 are essential stitches, 6 are stretch stitches, 19 are decorative stitches and 1 buttonhole
* Has an automatic needle threader making threading a hassle free process.
* The machine has a maximum sewing speed of 750 stitches-per-minute which is fast enough to ensure large sewing tasks are completed in a timely manner
* Has a high presser foot that allows you to raise your projects to a higher position enabling you to work on them comfortably.
* You can reinforce your stitches with the automatic reverse feature of this machine. Sew in reverse and reinforce your stitches.
* A free arm feature to help you easily sew cuffs, pant hems, collars etc
* A heavy duty frame
* Voltage is 110v
* Accessories included: A pack of needles, bobbins, a seam ripper/lint brush, power cord/foot control, some thread spool caps, L-screwdriver, a darning plate, an edge/quilting guide, an instruction manual and a soft-sided dust cover.
Why I Like This Machine
* Can sew heavy materials like leather (though you have to buy leather needles separately)
* Great price
* A very helpful instructions DVD
* People are commenting on how lightweight, easily adjustable and easy to use this machine is
Singer 3232 Review Video
Check out this 23 minute review video highlighting the features of the Singer 3232 mechanical sewing machine.