Its been said there is a shortage of face masks due to the COVID-19 pandemic worldwide. In this blog post, we will be looking at free patterns posted by bloggers from around the web teaching you how to create face masks.
1.How to Sew a Surgical Face Mask
Check out this interesting tutorial written by Kimberly Coffin teaching you the basics on how to make a surgical face mask. She advices that you can actually donate homemade face masks to hospitals, doctors’ offices, and retirement homes. This relieves the strain of a mask shortage and allows N95 masks to be used for COVID-19 and critical situations requiring PPE.
2. Facemask Pattern (With Nose Wire)
The owner of Craftpassion.com has come up with a unique style of creating face masks. In her designs, she includes adding a slot or pocket or filter media to make the face mask more effective.
There is also a nose clamp (aka nose wire) that has been added at the top edge of the face mask to provide a better seal at the nose bridge area. Lastly, with a shortage of elastic bands, a head tie made out of shoelace and t-shirt yarn has been recommended in her tutorial.
3. Super Easy Face Mask Pattern
Check out this interesting tutorial by Mayra teaching you a simple way to create face mask. Materials needed are:
- One 15 X 8″ fabric square. Use fabric with a tight weave, such as linen, quilting cotton or calico
- One 6 1/2 X 3 1/2″ rectangle of batting, interfacing, or other padding material (optional)
- 14 inches of 1/4″ or 3/8″ elastic
- 4 X 1″ strip of aluminum from a beer or soda can, bendable wire, flower wire or a garbage tie
4. How To Make Child Face Masks Easily
Want to learn how to make children face masks? Check out this tutorial by Vivian. Children (especially babies) have much smaller face sizes, and hence require a smaller mask that can fit snugly over their nose and mouth to prevent any risk of contamination.
5. Face Mask by Lisa
Another great tutorial by Lisa showing you how to make face masks easily.